NEWS & EVENTS

RSS
Apr
14
2011
Article: Cathy Wurzer, Minnesota Public Radio | 3:28 PM          
Attorney: Lawsuit against Vatican will be long and hard battle

The Vatican has been served with court papers related to allegations in a sexual abuse case. St. Paul attorney Jeff Anderson said this week he was notified that the papers were successfully filed through official diplomatic channels. The lawsuit was filed nearly a year ago in federal court on behalf of Terry Kohut, now of Chicago. It claims Pope Benedict and two other top Vatican officials knew about allegations of sexual abuse at St. John's School for the Deaf outside Milwaukee, and called off internal punishment of the accused priest, the late Rev. Lawrence Murphy.

read more
Apr
13
2011
Article: Associated Press | 10:09 AM          
Vatican served with court papers in Wis. abuse case

The Vatican has been served with court papers stemming from decades-old allegations of sexual abuse against a now-deceased priest at a Wisconsin school for the deaf.Jeff Anderson, an attorney for the man making the allegations, said he had been notified the papers were filed through official diplomatic channels."Every time we make a step forward, as long as that takes, we are going in the right direction," Anderson said. "And the direction we're headed is a measure of accountability. We really believe that we need to put some heat on the Vatican to bring some light."

read more
Apr
12
2011
Documents: | 3:35 PM          
U.S. Embassy's Diplomatic note to Holy See

read more
Documents: | 3:26 PM          
U.S. Department of State letter regarding Holy See

read more
Documents: | 3:22 PM          
Vatican Served Clergy Abuse Cover-up Lawsuit

read more
Apr
07
2011
Article: John P. Martin | 9:49 AM          
Survivors of man who alleged Philadelphia clergy abuse sue

It was one of the more searing allegations in the recent Philadelphia grand jury report on clergy sex abuse: A Bristol Township man killed himself after the Archdiocese of Philadelphia refused to believe that a priest had molested him when he was an altar boy. On Wednesday, relatives of the man, Daniel Neill, became the latest to sue the archdiocese over its response to abuse victims. Neill shot himself in June 2009. "It's a wrongful death is what it is," said Jeff Anderson, a lawyer for Neill's family. The grand jury cited the handling of Neill's complaint as one of three ...

read more
Apr
06
2011
Documents: | 9:24 AM          
Complaint filed on behalf of Daniel Neill 4/6/2011 in Philadelphia County Court of Common Pleas

read more
Documents: | 8:00 AM          
Wrongful Death Claim to Be Filed Against Philadelphia Archdiocese Wednesday

Press Release April 5, 2011   Wrongful Death Claim to Be Filed Against Philadelphia Archdiocese Wednesday   (Philadelphia) Attorneys for the family of “Ben”, the 36 year-old former St. Mark Parish altar boy whose tragic story of sexual abuse, rejection and suicide was told in the recent Philadelphia Grand Jury Report on clergy abuse in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, will file a wrongful death lawsuit against the diocese in the Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, on Wednesday, April 6, 2011.   The following St...

read more
Apr
04
2011
Article: By Tim Stier Contra Costa Times | 11:53 AM          
Oakland Tribune Viewpoint: Crisis in Catholic Church apparent in East Bay

AS A Catholic priest in voluntary exile from the Diocese of Oakland since March 15, 2005, I decided a year ago to stand in public solidarity with those being hurt the most by my church. Every Sunday I stand outside Christ the Light Cathedral in Oakland with a sign that reads: "Structural reform now! Include the Excluded: Women, Abuse Survivors, Gay Persons." One recent Sunday a young man approached, read my sign and said to me: "I have a better wording for your sign: (explitive) the pope." Another passerby said to me, "Why reform the Catholic Church? Why not just shut it down...

read more
Apr
01
2011
Article: ROSE FRENCH, Star Tribune | 10:28 AM          
St. John's Abbey released names of accused as part of lawsuit settlement.

The identities of 17 monks who have faced "credible allegations of sexual abuse" or other misconduct were made public Monday, representing a break in the secrecy that has long surrounded most Minnesota clergy abuse cases. The names were released by St. John's Abbey of Collegeville as part of a settlement of clergy abuse lawsuits announced on Monday by St. Paul attorney Jeff Anderson.

read more
FEATURED NEWS
News Release: Judge Upholds Arbitration Award Involving the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph
News Release: Judge Upholds Arbitration Award Involving the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph
... READ MORE
Priest File of Father Thomas Stitts
Priest File of Father Kenneth LaVan