November 7, 2013
Father Jerome Kern Named in Sexual Abuse Lawsuit
Alan Michaud, another Kern survivor, will speak publicly
about reporting Kern to Fr. Kevin McDonough and
Archdiocesan Officials in the early 1990s
Summons and Complaint
Father Jerome Kern Timeline
Heutmakers to Your Excellency
Memo from O'Connell 6-15-1987
O'Connell to Jemez Springs 6-17-1987
Memo from Kenney to O'Connell 11-17-1987
O'Connell to Gary Schoener 11-30-1987
Kern to Families 3-28-1988
Memo from Roach to Carlson, Ham, O'Connell, McDonough 2-23-1989
Media Advisory 11-6-13 Kern
WHAT: At a news conference Thursday in St. Paul, clergy sexual abuse attorneys Jeff Anderson and Mike Finnegan will:
• Announce the filing of a sexual abuse lawsuit on behalf of a man in his 50s, Doe 26, naming Father Jerome C. Kern and the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis as defendants. Doe 26 was sexually abused from 12-16 years old while a parishioner at Our Lady of Grace in Edina, Minnesota. The lawsuit was filed in Ramsey County District Court and alleges the Archdiocese was negligent in allowing Kern to continue working with children despite receiving reports of misconduct as early as 1969. Kern remained in ministry until 2002.
• Introduce Alan Michaud, a survivor who was sexually abused by Father Kern and met with then-Vicar General Kevin McDonough in the early 1990s. Michaud will share and detail his experience and the broken promises made by Archdiocesan Officials to remove Kern from ministry.
• Again demand the release of a list that contains 33 names of priests with credible allegations of sexual abuse.
WHEN: Thursday, November 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM CST
WHERE: Law Office of Jeff Anderson & Associates
366 Jackson Street
St. Paul, MN 55101
WHO: Sexual Abuse Attorneys Jeff Anderson and Mike Finnegan will release internal documents and memos exchanged by top Archdiocesan officials pertaining to Father Jerome C. Kern as well as discuss Doe 26’s recent lawsuit filed in Ramsey County. Alan Michaud, a courageous sexual abuse survivor, will recount his meetings and the actions taken by church officials after he reported Father Kern’s abuse.
• Information packets and copies of the complaint will be available at the press conference.
• Father Jerome Kern worked in parishes in St. Paul, Edina, Minnetonka and Forest Lake, Minnesota from 1966-2002. Kern’s last two jobs included assignments at churches where there was a school and religious education program for children.
Contact Jeff Anderson: Office/651.227.9990 Mobile/612.817.8665
Contact Mike Finnegan: Office/651.227.9990 Mobile/612.205.5531