Free Consultation Call 1.888.567.5557

Details

Law Firm Challenges New York Bishops to Release Names and Information on All Priests Accused of Sexual Abuse

3/12/2018 11:28:00 AM
The time for “reconsidering” and “thinking about”
releasing the names has passed


(Buffalo, New York) – On Sunday, Bishop Richard J. Malone of the Diocese of Buffalo told the Buffalo News that he was “reconsidering” a longstanding policy that withholds the names of priests who have been accused of sexual abuse. Apparently, the diocese has a 15-year “tradition” of withholding the names of priests accused of sexual abuse.

It’s time for this “tradition” to end.

“The New York bishops have been thinking about releasing names for decades,” said Attorney Mike Reck of Jeff Anderson & Associates, PA. “The time for accountability and truth is now. The offenders need to be exposed because children are at risk and survivors are suffering in secrecy, silence and shame.”

According to the Buffalo News, since 2003, the Bishops of Buffalo have been removing priests from ministry, but the Diocese of Buffalo has refused to confirm how many priests were removed, their identities and the reason for their removal. The diocese recently announced a compensation program for survivors of sexual abuse, however the program is currently limited to those survivors who previously reported their abuse to the diocese. It remains to be seen if a second phase of the program will be offered.

“Thinking doesn’t protect kids. Actions protect kids,” said Reck.

Contact: Mike Reck: (714)742-6593; Office: (646)759-2551
  Jeff Anderson: Cell: (612)817-8665; Office: (651)227-9990