Rev. Gregory Kareta, O.F.M. Conv.
Rev. Gregory Kareta, O.F.M. Conv. is included in the Diocese of Monterey’s Report of Credible Allegations within Category 2: Credibly accused Clergy previously released or in the public domain who were working in the name of the Diocese of Monterey when the alleged abuse occurred.
DATE OF INCIDENT(S):
DATE REPORTED TO THE DIOCESE OF MONTEREY:
- Deceased (10/4/2006)
- 1956: Ordained
- 1957: Unknown
- 1958-1963: St. Hedwig’s, Detroit, MI
- 1963- 1964: Our Lady of Guadalupe, Hermosa Beach, CA
- 1964-1965: St. Josephat’s, Milwaukee, WI
- 1966-1971: Bishop Montgomery High School, Torrance, CA
- 1971-1978: St. Paul the Apostle, Pismo Beach, CA
- 1978-1979: Queen of Angels, Riverside, CA
- 1979-1980: St. Joseph’s, Barstow, CA
- 1980-1981: Queen of Angels, Riverside, CA
- 1981-1982: Our Lady of Guadalupe, Riverside, CA
- 1983: Unknown
- 1984-1996: St. Paul the Apostle, Coalinga, CA
- 1996-2002: St. Joseph’s, Avenal, CA
- 2003: Retired (St. Joseph Cupertine Friary, Arroyo Grande, CA)
- 2004-2005: Unknown
- 2006: Died
Fr. Gregory Kareta was a Conventual Franciscan priest. In approximately 1985, Fr. Kareta allegedly admitted that he sexually abused a child, but the Archdiocese of Los Angeles permitted him to remain in ministry. In 2003, Fr. Kareta was accused of sexually abusing an 11-year-old boy in approximately 1973 to 1974 in the Diocese of Monterey. Fr. Kareta was criminally charged in 2002 after being arrested for lewd and lascivious acts with a child under the age of 14. The criminal charges were dropped in 2003. Fr. Kareta was included in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ list of priests accused of sexual misconduct involving minors.