On October 7, 2014 the priest file of Father Richard E. Hatch was released to the public. Along with Hatch’s file, the files of thirteen other priests with credible allegations of sexual abuse in the Diocese of Winona were also released. The files were obtained as part of the Doe 1 v. Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis and the Diocese of Winona civil lawsuit filed in Ramsey County in May 2013. The lawsuit was made possible due to the Child Victims Act passed by the Minnesota legislature.
On December 16, 2013, Father Richard E. Hatch was publicly named by the Diocese of Winona as part of a court-ordered release of names of priests with credible allegations of child sexual abuse. Father Hatch’s name was also part of the 2004 John Jay Charter Study.
According to court documents filed by the Diocese of Winona on December 16, 2013, Father Richard Hatch worked at the following parishes in Minnesota:
· June 23, 1954 – Saint John Vianney, Fairmont, MN
· June 21, 1957 – Saint Leo, Pipestone, MN
· August 30, 1960 – Saint James, Saint James, MN
· June 19, 1962 – Saint Mary, Winona, MN
· Ministerial Status: Voluntarily ceased ministerial duties and permanently left Diocese of Winona in the 1960’s.