Fr. James Arimond: Accused of Sexual Abuse of a Minor

Fr. James Arimond


  • 1965 – 1968: James Arimond Immaculate Conception Parish, Burlington
  • 1968 – 1969: St. Gall Parish, Milwaukee
  • 1969 – 1979: St. Alphonsus Parish, Greendale
  • 1979 – 1982: Sacred Heart Parish, St.Francis
  • 1982 – 1983: St. Aloysius Parish, West Allis
  • 1983 – 1987: St. Bernadette Parish, Milwaukee
  • 1987 – 1990: St. Frederick Parish

James Arimond Documents  |  James Arimond Timeline

In 1989, Arimond was accused of sexual abuse of a minor.  The report came in the form of a criminal complaint, the complaint said the abuse of a 16-year-old took place in the summer of 1988, but was not reported until 1989. Upon notice of the criminal complaint, archdiocesan officials placed Arimond on administrative leave in January 1990 pending an investigation into the allegation. He pleaded no contest to a charge of fourth-degree sexual assault and was released without bond after making the plea in July, 1990, in Milwaukee County Circuit Court. He was sentenced by Circuit Judge Thomas Doherty to 18 months of probation and 45 days in the House of Correction under the work-release program.

The prosecutor who handled the case had recommended three years of probation and that Arimond’s ministry be restricted to one that would not involve contact with youth. He was placed on leave by the archdiocese, restricted from the exercise of ministry and assigned to clerical tasks at the archdiocesan central offices. He was laicized in 1996.

A newspaper story in April, 2002, reported that he had been working as an independent contractor for Psychological & Counseling Services Inc. in Racine. The agency reported that they were aware of the matter relating to the 1990 misdemeanor conviction, but that one of his employment guidelines was that he only see adult clients. His license was later withdrawn with the licensing board of the State of Wisconsin contending that it was believed that he had lied about his conviction on his 1995 application.

In 2002, two abuse reports were made to the archdiocese; one that took place in 1975 and one that took place in 1980.

In 2004, one report of abuse that took place in 1985 was made to the archdiocese.