Daniel G. Babis
In 2006, Fr. Daniel G. Babis was named in a child sexual abuse lawsuit which alleged that Fr. Babis abused five brothers and sisters from the same Long Island family. Fr. Babis worked at Our Lady of Grace in Howard Beach, New York when he first met the family in approximately 1948. Fr. Babis allegedly sexually abused the children from approximately 1950 to 1968. The abuse occurred in Howard Beach, Queens, Long Island, and in Canada. Another family from Lynbrook called to report that Fr. Babis sexually abused two brothers and one sister in that family. Fr. Babis worked at Our Lady of Peace in Lynbrook, New York when he allegedly sexually abused the siblings. Another survivor has alleged that while Fr. Babis worked at Our Lady of Peace, he sexually abused her at the age of nine.
Fr. Daniel G. Babis was ordained a priest for the Diocese of Brooklyn in 1948, before the Diocese of Rockville Centre was created in 1957. Fr. Babis worked at the following locations in the Dioceses of Brooklyn and Rockville Centre:
- 1948-1954: Our Lady of Grace, Howard Beach, NY
- 1954-1956: Blessed Sacrament, Jackson Heights, NY
- 1956-1957: Villa Maria, Water Mill, NY
- 1957-1958: St. Philip Neri, Northport, NY
- 1958-1960: Mary Immaculate, Bellport, NY
- 1960-1970: Our Lady of Peace, Lynbrook, NY
- 1970-1978: On duty outside the diocese
- 1970-1971: Corpus Christi, Miami, FL
- 1971-1974: Little Flower, Coral Gables, FL
- 1974-1976: St. Francis de Sales, Miami Beach, FL
- 1976-1978: Holy Family, North Miami, FL
Fr. Daniel G. Babis died on December 12, 1978.
(Source: Official Catholic Directory & www.bishop-accountability.org)