Edward L. Maurer
In October 2002, Fr. Edward L. Maurer of the Diocese of Brooklyn was named in a lawsuit brought by survivors of child sexual abuse. The lawsuit alleged that Fr. Maurer sexually abused a survivor in approximately the 1970s. Fr. Maurer was again named in a class action lawsuit filed in October 2003 by survivors of child sexual abuse. The suit alleged that Fr. Maurer sexually abused two survivors. He allegedly abused one survivor while working at Our Lady Queen of Martyrs in Forest Hills, New York, in the 1970s. Fr. Maurer allegedly abused the second survivor while working at St. Thomas Aquinas in Brooklyn, New York, in the 1980s.
Fr. Edward L. Maurer was ordained a priest for the Diocese of Brooklyn in 1969 and worked at the following locations:
- 1971-1973: Holy Innocents, Brooklyn, NY
- 1974-1980: Our Lady Queen of Martyrs, Forest Hills, NY
- 1974-1980: Secretaries to Auxiliary Bishops (Secretary to Bishop Denning in 1980)
- 1981-1986: St. Thomas Aquinas, Brooklyn, NY (Director of Altar Boys)
- 1988-1998: St. Stanislaus Kostka, Queens, NY
- 1999-2002: St. Joseph, Queens, NY
Fr. Edward L. Maurer was removed from ministry in June 2002 and died on August 20, 2016.
(Sources: The Official Catholic Directory; www.bishop-accountability.org; http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/edward-maurer-obituary?pid=1000000181177161&view=guestbook)