James J. Bergin
Fr. James J. Bergin was accused of sexually abusing two young boys during his career in the Diocese of Rockville Centre. Fr. Bergin worked at St. Pius X Preparatory Seminary in Uniondale, New York, and St. Francis de Sales in Patchogue, New York, when he allegedly sexually abused the boys. Both allegations were reported to diocesan officials in approximately the early 1980s. Fr. Bergin admitted to sexually abusing one of the survivors and subsequently turned himself in to the Diocese for treatment. In 1993, the Diocese of Rockville Centre settled one of the sexual abuse claims for $25,000. In 2003, Fr. Bergin was named in a civil suit brought by survivors of child sexual abuse.
In 2002, a grand jury was convened to investigate the Diocese of Rockville Centre’s handling of clergy sexual abuse allegations. The Suffolk County Grand Jury’s description of Priest E matches a public allegation of child sexual abuse against Fr. Bergin.
Fr. James J. Bergin was ordained a priest for the Diocese of Rockville Centre on June 3, 1961, and worked at the following locations:
- 1961: Camp Molloy, Long Island, NY (chaplain)
- 1962: St. Lawrence the Martyr, Sayville, NY
- 1963: Our Lady of Lourdes, Massapequa Park, NY
- 1964-1968: St. Pius X Preparatory Seminary, Uniondale, NY
- 1969-1970: St. Anthony of Padua, Rocky Point, NY
- 1971: St. John the Evangelist, Center Moriches, NY
- 1972-1979: St. Francis de Sales, Patchogue, NY
- 1978-1980: St. Vincent De Paul Society – Moderator Brookhaven Council
- 1980-1987: St. John the Evangelist, Riverhead, NY
- 1988-1992: Most Holy Trinity, East Hampton, NY
Fr. Bergin died on January 19, 1992.
(Sources: The Official Catholic Directory; http://www.bishop-accountability.org/ny-rockvillecentre/accused_priests.htm; http://www.bishop-accountability.org/reports/2003_02_10_SuffolkGrandJury)