Joseph L. Theisen
In 1987, Fr. Joseph L. Theisen of the Archdiocese of New York was accused of child sexual abuse. He was sent to the Servants of the Paraclete in New Mexico for treatment. Later, in 1994, three men reported to the Archdiocese of New York that they had been sexually abused by Fr. Theisen in the early 1980s when they were teenagers. The Archdiocese settled with the three men.
Fr. Theisen was voluntarily laicized in 1994. He lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and died on January 25, 2013.
Fr. Joseph L. Theisen was born on June 18, 1933. He was ordained in 1959 and worked at the following locations:
- 1959-1960: St. Agnes, New York (Manhattan), NY
- 1960-1970, Immaculate Conception, New York (Staten Island), NY
- 1970-1981: St. Gregory Barbarigo, Garnersville, NY
- 1981-1983: St. Raymond’s, New York (Bronx), NY
- 1983-1984: Unknown
- 1984-1987: St. Raymond’s, New York (Bronx), NY
- 1987-1994: Absent on sick leave
- 1994: Laicized