Fr. James Frederick: Allegations of Sexual Abuse of a Minor Have Been Admitted, Established or Determined to Be Credible

Fr. James Frederick

Ordained: 1959

  • 1960-1961: St. Liborius Church, Steger, IL (JOL)
  • 1962-1965: Notre Dame, Clarendon Hills, IL (JOL)
  • 1966-1967: St. Charles Seminary, Lockport, IL (JOL)
  • 1968: Notre Dame, Clarendon Hills, IL (JOL)
  • 1969-1972: St. Patrick Church, Wilton Center, IL (JOL)
  • 1973-1978: St. Anthony, Frankfort, IL (JOL)
  • 1979: St. Charles Borromeo Seminary, Romeoville, IL (JOL)
  • 1980-1982: St. Joseph Church, Manhattan, IL (JOL)
  • 1983-1988: Special Assignment – St. Charles Borromeo, Lockport, IL (JOL)
  • 1988: Died



In 2013, documents released by court order revealed the Diocese of Joliet was aware of Fr. Frederick’s alleged sexual abuse as early as 1967. The documents included a report sent by Auxiliary Bishop Roger Kaffer to Bishop Romeo Blanchette. In the report, Auxiliary Bishop Kaffer disclosed a conversation he had with Fr. Frederick, regarding abuse allegations he had received from seminarians. Following the report, Bishop Blanchette placed Fr. Frederick on leave, only to later allow him to continue working in the Diocese. Fr. Frederick was included on the Diocese of Joliet’s list of “Diocesan Priests with a Substantiated Allegation(s) of Sexual Abuse of Minors Made Against Them While Serving in the Diocese of Joliet” with “Substantiated Allegations.”