Fr. Gerald “Jerry” Funcheon
- 1965: Ordained
- 1965: Immaculate Conception Monastery, Hastings, NE
- 1966: Priest Director of CYO Camp at Our Lady of the Lake Seminary, Syracuse, IN
- 1967: Boy Scout Chaplain, Warsaw, IN
- 1968-1969: Wawasee Prep. School, Syracuse, IN
- 1970-1975: St. Odilia’s Church, St. Paul, MN
- 1975-1976: St. Thomas Aquinas School, Ft. Lauderdale, FL; Our Lady of Martyrs, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- 1976: Military Chaplain, U.S. Air Force, Lackland Air Force Base, TX; Hospital Chaplain, Wilford Hall Medical Center, San Antonio, TX
- 1977-1979: Ramstein Air Force Base, Germany
- 1979: Crosier Community, Onamia, MN – Prefect of sophomores/freshman, Physical Education teacher, driver’s education, religion, swimming instructor
- 1980-1982: Cathedral High School and John XXIII Middle School, St. Cloud, MN; Unit Chaplain at Minn-St. Paul IAP, Air National Guard
- 1982-1984: Damien Memorial School, Honolulu, HI; Chaplain, Air National Guard
- 1984-1985: Palma High School, Salinas, CA
- 1985: Crosier Community at St. Stephen’s, Anoka, MN
- 1986: St. Ann Church, Lafayette, IN
- 1987-1990s: Terminated from the Crosier Order, incardinated into the Diocese of Lafayette, IN
- 2004: Moved to Florida, no faculties granted in the Diocese of St. Petersburg
- 2012-2018: St. John Vianney Renewal Center, Dittmer, MO
Father Gerald “Jerry” Funcheon, a member of the Crosier order, was banished from the Diocese of Indianapolis due to allegations of child sexual abuse. Funcheon was ordained a Crosier priest in 1965 and worked in several locations throughout the United States and Europe including Nebraska, Indiana, Minnesota, Florida, Germany, Texas, Hawaii, and California.
In 1983, parents of a student at Damien Memorial High School in Honolulu, HI reported to the school that Funcheon had sexually abused their son. Rather than reporting Funcheon to law enforcement, the school allowed Funcheon to remain a Chaplain and subsequently transferred him to Palma High School in Salinas, CA where he sexually abused more students.
In 1985 Funcheon was granted faculties in the Archdiocese of Saint Paul & Minneapolis. After working in Minnesota for less than one year, Fr. Funcheon’s faculties were terminated at St. Stephen’s in Anoka and in 1987 he was removed from the Crosier Order. Despite his removal, the Diocese of Lafayette, Indiana allowed Funcheon to work in their diocese and granted him faculties in 1987.
It is believed that Funcheon abused over 50 kids during his career as a priest. Funcheon was interviewed under oath in September 2012 in a civil lawsuit brought on behalf of a former Damien Memorial High School student and since then, several other victims of Funcheon have come forward. The statement was released to the public in March 2013.
Jerry Funcheon eventually left the order and the priesthood, and he is last known to be living in Missouri. To-date Funcheon has not been laicized.
Assignment History of Gerald Funcheon
Cantrell Summons and Complaint
Crosier List of Credibly Accused
Doe 41-44 Summons and Complaint
Gerald Funcheon Archdiocese File
Gerald Funcheon Crosier Priest File Part 2
Gerald Funcheon Key Docs
Timeline of Gerald Funcheon