Michael Charland, OMI
Michael Charland was born on June 22, 1945, and ordained in 1971. He was a priest of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate (“Oblates”). He worked at parishes and assignments in Minnesota, Nebraska, Illinois and Wisconsin. In Minnesota his assignments included locations in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, the Diocese of Duluth and the Diocese of New Ulm.
Charland is included on official lists of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse, including lists made public by the Oblates and the Diocese of Duluth in 2015. According to the Diocese of Duluth and our research, Charland worked at the following parishes and assignments:
• 8/21/1971 Ordained, Assumption Parish, Richfield, MN
• 4/5/1972 Student, Oblate House of Studies/Creighton University, Omaha, NE
• 1/1/1973 Associate Pastor, St. Louis Parish, Fond du Lac, WI
• 8/15/1973 Assistant Principal and Staff Counselor, St. Henry’s Prep Seminary,
• 1/31/1977 Associate Campus Minister, St. Thomas College; Provincial House, St. Paul, MN
• 7/29/1977 St. Mary’s Church, St. Paul, MN
• 1977 Spiritual Director for the Teens Encounter Christ Program, Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, MN
• 1977 Spiritual Director, Teen Encounter Christ retreats, Rainy River Community College, International Falls, MN
Also staffed weekends as Spiritual Director for Teens Encounter Christ in Sparta, IL (Diocese of Belleville); River Bend (New Ulm Diocese); Agape, WI (Superior Diocese); and Fort Francis, Canada.
• 06/1981 Director of Campus Ministry, College of St. Thomas, St. Paul, MN
• 7/1/1984 Pastor, St. Thomas More Newman Center, Director of Catholic Campus Ministry, River Falls, WI; Pastor of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish in Big River, WI
• 1989 Laicized
Efforts to unseal the secret documents regarding clergy sexual abuse in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, the Diocese of Duluth and the Diocese of New Ulm began with the first lawsuits filed under the Child Victims Act in May and June of 2013. Since then, survivors have taken numerous actions to make the files public.
In October 2015, a jury verdict was handed down against the Diocese of Duluth in a child sexual abuse case in Ramsey County involving Fr. James Vincent Fitzgerald. On December 7, 2015, the Diocese of Duluth filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection earlier in 2015.
Diocese of Duluth filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection earlier in 2015.
More information on the Diocese of Duluth bankruptcy can be found at: Duluth Bankruptcy
More information on the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis bankruptcy can be found here: Archdiocese Bankruptcy