Fr. William J. Walsh: Accused of Child Sexual Abuse

Fr. William J. Walsh

Ordained: 1954
  • 1954-1955 Woodstock College, Woodstock, MD (BAL)
  • 1955-1956 Jesuit Tertianship, Auriesville, NY (ALB)
  • 1956-1961 St. Ignatius, Baltimore, MD (BAL)
  • 1961-1965 Bishop’s Latin School, Pittsburgh, PA (PIT)
  • 1965-1966 Unknown
  • 1966-1967 Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. (WDC)
  • 1998-2010 Ferdinand Wheeler House, Baltimore, MD (BAL)
  • 1967-1973 Novitiate of St. Isaac Jogues, Wernersville, PA (ALN)
  • 2010-2012 Colombiere Jesuit Community, Baltimore, MD (BAL)
  • 1973-1975 Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. (WDC)
  • 1980-1985 Jesuit Fathers and Brothers Maryland Provincial Curia, Baltimore, MD (BAL)
  • 1985-1986 Jesuit Community, Berkley, CA (OAK)
  • -1991 St. Alphonsus House at St. Joseph University, Philadelphia, PA (PH)
  • 1989-1991 Loyola Center at St. Joseph University, PA (PH)
  • 1991-1996 China
  • 1996-1998 Woodstock Jesuit Community at Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. (WDC)
  • 2013-2019 Unknown

In 1996, five of Fr. Walsh’s nieces, all sisters, privately accused him of sexually abusing them hundreds of times as children from the 1940s to the 1960s. Fr. Walsh, at the time on a foreign mission in China, was recalled and reassigned to Woodstock Jesuit Community at Georgetown University and sent to treatment. Two years later, in 1998, the five nieces made their accusations public because the Jesuits had not removed Fr. Walsh from ministry. The Jesuits subsequently removed Fr. Walsh from active ministry. It was reported that the five nieces had all been sexually abused individually and believed herself to be the only one abused by Fr Walsh. It was not until 40 years later that they reconciled their stories. One sister claimed Fr. Walsh had abused her up to 200 times. Fr. Walsh is listed on the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s list of “Priests and Brothers Accused of Child Sex Abuse” and on the Maryland Jesuit’s list of “Jesuits with an allegation of an offense against a minor.”