PHILADELPHIA — Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky sexually abused a boy more than 100 times, then threatened his family to keep him quiet about the encounters, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday that details new accusations not included in criminal charges against Sandusky.
The lawsuit is the first in the Penn State child sex-abuse scandal and identifies the plaintiff, now 29 years old, only as John Doe. It claims Sandusky abused the boy from 1992 to 1996 at the coach’s State College home, in a Penn State locker room, on trips to Philadelphia and at a bowl game.
The plaintiff said in a statement issued by his lawyer soon after the filing, “I am hurting and have been for a long time because of what happened, but feel now even more tormented that I have learned of so many other kids were abused after me.”
The accuser said that Sandusky sexually abused him more than 100 times from the ages of 10 to 14, and threatened to harm him and his family if he told anyone. The suit also names the university and The Second Mile charity as defendants. The man says he knew the coach through the children’s charity, which Sandusky founded.
The plaintiff is not among the victims named in a grand jury report released earlier this month that detailed a series of alleged assaults involving Sandusky and boys as young as 10.
Sandusky was charged in early November with abusing eight boys, some on campus, over 15 years, allegations that were not immediately brought to the attention of authorities even though high-level people at Penn State apparently knew about at least one of them.
Sandusky has acknowledged that he showered with boys but denied molesting them and has maintained he is innocent of the charges. Messages were left Wednesday for Sandusky’s lawyer.
The plaintiff filed a new complaint Tuesday with law enforcement, but his attorney wouldn’t say to which agency.
The lawyer, Jeff Anderson, said he believes Sandusky could not control his sexual impulses toward children. Anderson harshly criticized officials who failed to report their suspicions.
“We need to address the institutional recklessness and failures,” said Anderson, who specializes in clergy sex-abuse lawsuits. “Was it because of power, money, fear, loyalty, lack of education?”
The university said it had not yet seen the lawsuit.
The charity said it will respond after reviewing the lawsuit, but added: “The Second Mile will adhere to its legal responsibilities throughout this process. As always, our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.”
The man who filed the lawsuit said Sandusky gave him gifts, travel and privileges after meeting him through The Second Mile in 1992. The abuse began shortly after and lasted until 1996, the suit said.
The scandal has resulted in the dismissals of school president Graham Spanier and longtime coach Joe Paterno. Athletic director Tim Curley has been placed on administrative leave, and vice president Gary Schultz, who was in charge of the university’s police department, has stepped down.
Schultz and Curley are charged with lying to the grand jury and failure to report suspected abuse to police. Both men have maintained their innocence.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.