Disgraced Former Cardinal McCarrick Arraigned in Court Tomorrow
(Newark, NJ) – Yesterday, the law firm of Jeff Anderson & Associates filed two new civil sexual battery lawsuits against former Cardinal Theodore McCarrick and the Archdiocese of Newark.
The lawsuit filed by JA DOE 60, a former employee of the Archdiocese of Newark, alleges the following:
- In approximately 1991, Theodore McCarrick engaged in unpermitted sexual contact with the plaintiff, JA DOE 60.
- The abuse allegedly occurred at the Archdiocese of Newark cathedral in Newark, New Jersey.
The second lawsuit, filed by Fr. Lauro Sedlmayer, alleges the following:
- Lauro Sedlmayer, a former New Jersey priest who came to America from Brazil to expand his ministry, was sexually assaulted by his then-boss McCarrick and repeatedly reported the abuse.
- On multiple occasions, in approximately 1991, Theodore McCarrick engaged in unpermitted sexual contact with the plaintiff and former priest.
- The abuse allegedly occurred at Theodore McCarrick’s beach house.
McCarrick’s first criminal hearing on child sexual abuse charges is Friday, September 3, in Massachusetts.
On Wednesday, July 28, a criminal complaint was filed against former Cardinal Theodore McCarrick in Dedham District Court in Massachusetts. The alleged abuse occurred in the 1970s during a wedding reception at Wellesley College in Massachusetts. At the time of the abuse, McCarrick was assigned to and living in the rectory at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City.
McCarrick has been ordered to appear in court for arraignment tomorrow September, 3. If you, or anyone you know, was sexually abused by defrocked Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, please contact law enforcement immediately.