Archdiocese Used Therapy Scam to Defraud Victims of Civil Rights; Cardinal, Bishop Thwarted Police, Helped Criminal Priest Escape US
(Los Angeles, CA) – At a news conference Wednesday sexual abuse survivors and their attorneys, Anthony DeMarco and Jeff Anderson will:
- Announce a landmark, $13m settlement on behalf of 17 survivors who were sexually abused by five different perpetrators in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, including Fr. Nicolas Aguilar Rivera.
- Discuss how the Archdiocese paid for survivor’s therapy but did not inform survivors of their legal rights to sue, as required by law.
- Demonstrate and discuss how an international conspiracy between Cardinal Roger Mahony and a Mexican bishop allowed a child-raping priest to be dumped in LA’s Spanish-speaking neighborhoods and how Cardinal Mahony and Bishop Thomas Curry defrauded survivors by misleading the police in the case of Fr. Nicolas Aguilar Rivera.
- Play excerpts from Cardinal Mahony’s video deposition taken in 2013 where he claims he and his deputies “did nothing wrong” in handling cases of child sexual abuse. Copies of the sworn testimony excerpts will be available for press.
Wednesday, February 19, 2014, at 11:00 AM (PST)
Westin Bonaventure Hotel (Palos Verde Room)
404 S. Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Attorneys Jeff Anderson and Anthony DeMarco along with several sexual abuse survivors, including survivors abused by the five perpetrators named in this settlement.
- Documents and additional information will be posted to our website www.abusedinsocal.com under “Case Resources.”
- Spanish speaking interpreters will be available.