One Priest Founded 4-Million-Member International Devotional Group
Archdiocese of Newark Must Make Public Names of Priests Tied to Secret Settlements, Attorneys Demand
What: At a virtual news conference, attorneys for survivors of child sexual abuse will announce four new child sex abuse lawsuits against priests from the Archdiocese of Newark. These names have not been made public until now. The accused priests include:
- The founder of a four-million-member international devotional group that hosts pilgrimages to shrines for the Virgin Mary. The priest also openly claimed to have been “healed” by Our Lady of Fatima and focused his ministry on teaching children how to pray the rosary; and
- Three other long-time priests from the Archdiocese of Newark.
The attorneys will also:
- Demand that Archdiocese officials make public the names of all priests who have been credibly accused of abuse in the Archdiocese,
- Demand that Cardinal Joseph Tobin make public the names of all priests who were the subject of secret settlements in their Independent Victims Compensation Program (IVCP) . More than 500 survivors came forward to file claims under the plan.
- Demand that Cardinal Joseph Tobin make public the names of all priests who have been identified in lawsuits filed against the Archdiocese of Newark under the New Jersey Victims’ Rights Bill.
When: Thursday, September 9, 2021, at 2:30 p.m. ET / 1:30 p.m. CT
A live, filmed Zoom conference call at which attendees can ask questions directly at the end of the presentation but will be muted upon arrival.
Zoom Details: Press are welcome to join the Zoom call. Please contact email@example.com.
Media Note: Video files will be available for download following the conclusion of the event for use by broadcast and digital media. Submit requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.