St. Paul Attorney to announce $1.35 million settlement in the case and release Myers’ deposition
WHAT: At a news conference on Tuesday in Newark, New Jersey, prominent clergy abuse attorney Jeff Anderson will:
• Announce the settlement of a child sexual abuse case for $1.35 million involving the Diocese of Peoria, former Peoria Bishop and current Archbishop of Newark John J. Myers and deceased priest Msgr. Thomas W. Maloney.
• Introduce the family of Andrew Ward, a former altar boy at Epiphany Church in Normal, Illinois, who was sexually abused when he was 8 years-old by Msgr. Maloney while Maloney worked at the family’s parish in the mid-1990s and Myers was the bishop of the Peoria Diocese.
• Reveal the deposition of Archbishop Myers taken May 12, 2010 and discuss Myers’ pattern and practice of repeatedly failing to protect children while working as Bishop in Peoria and now as the Archbishop of Newark.
WHEN: Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 1:00 PM EDT
WHERE: Outside the Archdiocesan Center
171 Clifton Avenue
Newark, NJ 07104
WHO: Attorney Jeff Anderson, a St. Paul, Minnesota-based, internationally known trial lawyer widely recognized as a pioneer in sexual abuse litigation. Anderson has represented thousands of survivors of sexual abuse by authority figures and clergy. Robert Hoatson, a former Archdiocese of Newark priest and founder of the non-profit Road to Recovery, who has called for Myers’ resignation since 2009 for his failure to protect children. The parents of sexual abuse survivor Andrew Ward will share the experiences of Andrew and the family.
• Information packets will be available at the press conference.
• Depositions and documents will be available at www.andersonadvocates.com and at www.bishopaccountability.org under the “New and Noteworthy” section.
• More information on Father Collins can be found at www.catholicwhistleblowers.org.
• Road to Recovery, a non-profit organization supporting survivors of clergy sexual abuse can be found at www.road-to-recovery.org.
• Father Patrick Collins, a retired priest formerly of the Diocese of Peoria will be available via telephone to discuss Myers’ pattern of conduct while working as Bishop in Peoria.
Contact Jeff Anderson: Office/651.227.9990 Mobile/612.817.8665
Contact Robert Hoatson: (862)368-2800
Contact Fr. Patrick Collins: (616)886-6042