Over Five Perpetrators to be Identified Publicly for the First Time
Survivors to Speak Publicly About Lawsuits
(Albany, NY) – Wednesday in Albany, sexual abuse survivors and the law firms of Jeff Anderson & Associates, and LaFave, Wein & Frament will:
- Announce the filing of over 20 lawsuits against the Diocese of Albany on Wednesday, when the one-year window provision of the New York Child Victims Act (CVA) takes effect;
- Reveal a list of the names of the perpetrators named in the lawsuits, including over 5 perpetrators who will be named publicly for the first time;
- Reveal a list of the locations at which the named perpetrators worked and abused children;
- Demand the Diocese of Albany and Bishop Edward Scharfenberger release all the names of every credibly accused priest who has worked in the Diocese, as well information on the alleged perpetrators’ history, current whereabouts and what the Diocese knew about alleged child sexual abuse;
- Discuss the CVA, which was signed into law in February 2019. The CVA window gives survivors of child sexual abuse one year to bring lawsuits in cases that were previously barred by the statute of limitations, no matter when the abuse occurred;
- Encourage sexual abuse survivors to come forward confidentially under the CVA.
Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 2:30 PM (ET)
40 Lodge Street
Albany, NY 12207
On May 21, 2019, Jeff Anderson & Associates released The Anderson Report on Sexual Abuse in the Diocese of Albany that contained the names, photographs and assignment histories of 83 clergy members accused of child sexual abuse.