Law Firm to Expose California Diocesan Compensation Programs Tuesday in Los Angeles
Survivors and Catholic Whistleblower to Highlight Issues With Prior New York Diocesan Compensation Programs
(Los Angeles, California) –Tuesday in Los Angeles, two clergy abuse survivors, a prominent Catholic whistleblower and the law firm of Jeff Anderson & Associates will:
• Siobahn O’Connor, former personal assistant to Diocese of Buffalo (New York) Bishop Richard Malone, will expose the truth and discuss the cover-up of clergy sexual abuse by Malone that caused her to reluctantly release secret Diocese documents to the public to disclose the truth. O’Connor will discuss how the Diocese of Buffalo and Bishop Malone handled its compensation program;
• Release a summary of the diocesan compensation programs for clergy sexual abuse survivors announced by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles and the Dioceses of Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Diego, Orange and Fresno. Similar survivor compensation programs in New York will be compared and contrasted;
• Survivor Christopher Szuflita will discuss his abuse by a Diocese of Buffalo priest, the Diocese’s handling of his reports and his decision to reject a settlement offer under the Diocese’s compensation program;
• Survivor Thomas Davis will discuss his abuse by a Diocese of Brooklyn priest and determination by the compensation program that his claim was unsubstantiated;
• Compare the California diocesan compensation programs’ features with those that may be offered to survivors in statute of limitations legislation being considered by California lawmakers and discuss how the California bishops are doing the same thing that the New York bishops are doing.
WHEN: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 1:00 PM PT
WHERE: Intercontinental Century City – Chateau 8
2151 Avenue of the Stars
Los Angeles, CA 90067
Notes: The press conference will be live-streamed via You Tube and Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AndersonAdvocates/.
Contact: Jeff Anderson: 612.817.8665 (cell); 310.357.2425 (office)
Mike Reck: 714.742.6593 (cell); 310.357.2425 (office)
Mike Finnegan: 612.205.5531 (cell); 310.357.2425 (office)
When the Buffalo diocese announced a settlement program in March of 2018, Bishop Malone invited victims to come forward. But the victim hotline rang in an empty office, manned remotely by a part-time employee, and victims waited weeks for a return call. As Malone’s assistant O’Connor began speaking to those survivors and she listened as they shared painful stories of their childhood abuse.
Today, Siobhan continues to speak the truth to the people of California.
Quotes re: O’Connor
Without Siobhan O’Connor, the Diocese of Buffalo may have pulled off one of the greatest cover-ups in the history of the Catholic Church. – WKBW-TV October 18, 2018
“I am a very ordinary person and I found myself in rather extraordinary circumstances and the way I look at it is, I was the right person in the right place at the right time, and God gave me the strength to do the right thing.” – Heroic Whistleblower Siobhan O’Connor