Fr. Joseph D. Pina
- 1973-1975: Our Lady of Guadalupe, Los Angeles, CA
- 1976: Vocations Commission, Los Angeles, CA
- 1977-1979: St. Alphonsus, Los Angeles, CA
- 1980-1983: Assumption, Los Angeles, CA
- 1983-1985: Our Lady of Guadalupe, Los Angeles, CA
- 1986-1993: St. Alphonsus, Los Angeles, CA
- 1988-1993: San Francisco, Los Angeles, CA
- 1994: Sick leave
- 1994-1998: San Buenaventura Mission, Ventura, CA
- 1998: St. Emydius, Lynwood, CA
- 1999-2006: Inactive leave
- 2006: Laicized
- 2007-2018: Unknown
At least two survivors have come forward alleging child sexual abuse by Fr. Joseph D. Pina, between approximately 1979 and 1990. Fr. Pina was sent to St. John Vianney and Del Amo, institutions known for treating priests accused of child sexual abuse. In 1999, the Archdiocese placed him on permanent, inactive leave. Fr. Pina was investigated in 2002 by police on claims he had sexually abused a 14-year-old girl, in approximately the 1970s, while he worked at St. Alphonsus in Los Angeles. In 2003, Fr. Pina was named in a child sexual abuse lawsuit. He was laicized in 2006. Fr. Pina allegedly admitted to having a sexual relationship with a minor.
In 2001, the Archdiocese recommended Fr. Pina not be hired on an employment questionnaire received from the Los Angeles Unified School District. Nevertheless, Fr. Pina worked for the Los Angeles Unified School District from approximately 2002 until 2012. His job involved community outreach, building support for school projects, addressing community concerns, and organizing district events.
Fr. Pina was included in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ list of priests accused of sexual misconduct involving minors. As of 2010, it is believed Fr. Pina was living in Milton, FL. His current whereabouts and whether he has access to children are unknown.