Survivors & Attorneys Demand Naasón Joaquín García Receives Life in Prison
Live Press Conference at 2:00 PM (PT)
(Los Angeles, CA) – On Tuesday, June 7, at 2:00 PM (PT), survivors, advocates, and attorneys will assemble and speak about the perils presented by the leader of La Luz Del Mundo Church, Naasón Joaquín García. Attorneys and survivors will also:
- Demand that García, who was originally faced with 36 charges related to human trafficking, forced labor, sexual assault, financial exploitation, and harassment, serve a life sentence in prison.
- Reveal that because of García’s plea deal, which includes two counts of forcible oral copulation involving minors and one count of a lewd act upon a child who was 15 years old, he will serve a maximum sentence of 16 years and three months in prison.
- Demand that all La Luz Del Mundo leaders and enablers who are complicit in García’s crimes be held accountable and prosecuted.
- Stand with a courageous survivor, Sochil Martin, who filed the first lawsuit brought against La Luz del Mundo under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), and the California Child Victims Act (AB 218).
- Encourage all survivors, witnesses, and whistleblowers who endured sexual abuse while participating in the criminal organization of La Luz Del Mundo to take legal action and come forward to law enforcement if they have any information.
- A Spanish-speaking attorney will be present at the event for any translating-related needs.
Tuesday, June 7, at 2:00 PM (PT)
Greenberg Gross LLP
601 S Figueroa St 30th floor
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Due to Los Angeles hosting Summit of the Americas, we suggest the press and media give themselves an additional hour of travel time.
Live Stream: The press conference will also be live-streamed on our YouTube channel.