Sexual Abuse in California Schools
Presentation High School Report
In September of 2019, following a string of child sexual abuse reports and increasing attention resulting from abuse survivors sharing their stories, Presentation High School administrators enlisted Van Dermyden Maddux Law Corporation (Firm) to conduct a “thorough and impartial investigation into past reports of sexual abuse and misconduct and the handling of such allegations throughout the history of the school.” If you were sexually abused while a student at Presentation school, or for more information about the report and ongoing awareness efforts, visit our Presentation High School page.
Notable Recent California School Cases
Our team of attorneys and advocates has extensive experience working closely with survivors of child sexual abuse in both public schools and private schools throughout California. The California Child Victims Act has created an incredible opportunity for survivors of abuse to pursue justice, regardless of how long ago the abuse occurred.
- Mater Dei High School: Jeff Anderson & Associates has multiple suits against Mater Dei, a prestigious private school in Santa Ana that was home to multiple child sexual assault offenders throughout the 1980s and 1990s, and the Diocese of Orange for the actions of known perpetrator Monsignor Michael Harris and its role in the institutional cover-up of child sexual assault.
- La Habra High School: Jeff Anderson & Associates has suit against Fullerton Joint Union High School District under the new California Child Victims Act (AB 218) for childhood sexual assault by Charles “Chuck” Ritz III, a math teacher, soccer coach, and surf club advisor at La Habra High School from 1986 to 2016
- Bellarmine College Preparatory School: Jeff Anderson & Associates has suits filed under the California Child Victims Act (AB 218) against Bellarmine College Preparatory School (Diocese of San Jose), the Archdiocese of San Francisco, and the Society of Jesus for child sexual assault by Brother William C. Farrington, S.J., who worked the school in the 1960s and 1970s.
- St. Francis High School: Jeff Anderson & Associates has multiple suits under the California Child Victims Act (AB 218) against Saint Francis High School (La Canada Flintridge, CA); the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin; and the Archdiocese of Los Angeles for child sexual assault by one of its religious order priests – Father Christopher Kearney O.F.M.Cap. – who was stationed at the school between 1970-1995.
- Sonoma Academy: In the summer of 2021, Sonoma Academy released a report alleging humanities teacher Marco Marrone, who was employed by Sonoma Academy from 2002 to 2020, sexually harassed or acted inappropriately with at least 34 female students.